When we decided to make this sweetcorn chowder as a starter for our pop up dining event, (check out our Green & Vegan FB page) we originally opted for a raw recipe. When we tested it, yes it was tasty, but to be honest – tasted – raw!
So we changed tack completely, and ended up with this one, which was great, and went down very well. Everyone of our guests had seconds. Good thing I made such a big batch.
One of our guests put together this YouTube video of the evening!
The original inspiration for the recipe came from Crazy Vegan Kitchen – so thank you. As usual a few things have been changed.
Here is the recipe I used:
Some olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 yellow pepper, diced
2 sticks celery, chopped
2 medium (or 4 small) potatoes, diced
2 C soy milk
4 C veg stock
8 C corn kernels (I used the frozen ones) plus extra for garnish
2 t celery salt
2 t smoked paprika
2 t dried parsley
couple of dashes of apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
What to do:
1. Heat the oil in a pan and saute the onion, yellow pepper and celery for about 10 mins
2. Add the potato and cook for a few more mins
3. Add the soy milk and veg stock – bring to boil and simmer till the corn is soft
4. Pour the mixture into a blender. Whizz for a short while till the mixture is still a bit chunky.
5. Pour about half back into the pot.
6. Continue to whizz the other half till smooth.
7. Add this back to the pot
8. Add in the celery salt, smoked paprika, dried parsley, apple cider vinegar, stir well and season to taste.
9. Reheat a bit if necessary.
10. Serve garnished with the extra corn, and some chopped red or yellow pepper and crispy onion.
Oh – on the side is a raw cracker biscuit.