We love these tasty Thai or Indonesian bites. We have attempted to make these sweetcorn fritters numerous times, always without success. Aiming to keep things healthy, we have tried to avoid deep frying, and have used all sorts of different ingredients to make the fritters hold together.
The whole Indonesian Pop-Up dining event (Check out our Green and Vegan FB page) came about when we made some Indonesian friends. And they showed us how to make these sweetcorn fritters. We have managed to avoid ‘deep’ frying, but have had to accept a litle bit of shallow frying.
2 C fresh corn kernels
½ C flour + a bit
¼ t baking powder
Salt – ¼ t + to taste
Pepper – couple of twists
Green of 2 spring onions – chopped
What to do:
1. Put the corn kernels in a bowl.
2. Add the 1/2 cup of flour and fold in. Add in extra flour just to make sure the kernels have light coating of flour.
3. Fold in the baking powder, salt and pepper.
4. Add in the chopped spring onion.
5. Add in just enough water so that the mixture is sticky.
6. Heat a little oil in a non stick frying pan.
7. Using a teaspoon, take a blob of the mixture and place it in the hot oil, and gently flatten it.
8. Put about six of these in the pan, and fry gently till the lower edges just turn brown.
9. Turn them gently and fry other side.
10. When done take them out and place on a piece of kitchen paper towel to drain excess oil.
11. Repeat till all mixture used. You should get about 10 small fritters from this mixture.
Serve up with a sweet chilli dipping sauce.